Saturday, October 29, 2016

29. Change of Season


Winds in the east, mist coming in. / Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. / Can't put me finger on what lies in store, / But I fear what's to happen all happened before.” - Bert, Mary Poppins

My walks have been breezier than usual the past few days, and there's been a bite in the air. I've been grateful for my jacket and fingerless gloves I wear in my office. Bert's right, something's brewing: cooler temperatures, falling leaves, the fountain drying up for the season. I feel a twinge of something. It's not sadness exactly, but an appreciation for what this season has brought me—peace, calm, confidence, hope. And curiosity for what a season of walking in autumn and winter will gift me. I know that if I look for lessons and insights, I will find them. 

The change in season feels momentous to me because I have been so attentive in this current season. I have grown so much. Healed in ways I didn't expect and am feeling so strong and ready to take on whatever life blows my way. 

I plan on continuing my daily walks, albeit bundled up. I will likely suspend my walks on icy days, but otherwise, my plan is to walk through the arctic winter like I walked through the blazing summer.
This month's daily writing has been a wonderful ramp up to returning to daily work on parts two and three of my novel. As I walked and let my life unfold before me, I sensed new rhythms settling in. Autumn and winter feel right to be the months for the heavy lifting of writing larger works of fiction (or whatever strikes my fancy). In those months there are fewer demands on my time. No lawns to mow. No softball games to cheer on.

I am certain that walking at lunch will be a beautiful accompaniment to the writing I do either early in the morning or late in the evening. I'm excited to see how my story takes shape in this new season. 

Landscaping crews are changing out the flowers and planting shrubs

I like the drizzly days

Note the leaves that have gathered at the base of the fountains

No comments:

Post a Comment