Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Training - An Update

I had some extra light and extra time after work yesterday, so I decided to make use of both and cross off another training run from my Couch 2 5k training app.

Silly me, I didn't take into account that the path on the Katy Trail wouldn't EXACTLY be runner/cyclist ready after our five inches of snow three days ago.

Undeterred, I decided to do my run/walk rotation on the wet pavement that was clear. I figured this short back-and-forth circuit on the bridge parallel to the traffic wasn't really any different from the monotony of a high school track, so I launched out.

It was great! I had Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear album in my ear. The evening rush hour buzzed above me, and I had a great view of the Missouri River.

Not long into my run, I got a call from my daughter. She was calling to tell me that she "clipped up" and landed on OUTSTANDING in school. The excitement and pride in her voice was palpable. This is a coveted level of good behavior, so I congratulated her while I walked/ran. We said goodbye, and I kept going.

I ran Week 2 Day 2, which included a rotation of 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking. Perhaps I was distracted by the altered state of the path, the traffic, and the river, but I managed the run/walk without a single moment of "Oh man, this is getting hard. How much longer do I have to go?" Granted, I have not yet worked up to the distance I'll need for the race, but I still think this is good.

What's happening is I'm enjoying the practice and looking forward to the next one. I DID NOT EXPECT THIS DEVELOPMENT when I put "Run a 5k" on my list. I am so determined to run the entire time and make my B-I-L proud of me that these things urge me on.

I do not care about my race time on May 2. What I care about is running the entire race. If I must walk a short time, I will grant myself that luxury, but I am determined to RUN the entire time. My B-I-L's encouragement runs laps in my mind as I run. It really is such a help, and I am so grateful.

I was delighted to find these locks on the fence overlooking the river. A little slice of Paris right here on the Katy Trail.


This photo is grainy because I was losing light, but I like capturing myself smiling after working out. It's such a new vision of myself.


PS: This is the first time I remembered my mittens, and OH MY what a difference they made! My three layers on my head and two pairs of leggings didn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment