Sunday, August 28, 2016

Rejection #5

In April, Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love and Big Magic and host of the Magic Lessons podcast, asked listeners to submit a 100-word essay explaining why they should be featured on the second season of Magic Lessons.

My essay was one of thousands submitted. I'm happy to report that I was not selected. And for good reason. I've listened to Elizabeth's first three podcasts, and her selections were spot-on. The featured creatives posed multi-layered challenges for the reasons they felt blocked in their creativity.

Listening to Elizabeth peel back the layers of each of their issues was enlightening and helpful in my own creative life. 

My submission was genuine, but it was also boring--vanilla. Truthfully, I know the answer to the problem I posed: rest and pushing through. Those are the two things I need to achieve my creative pursuits, and so while I would love to speak with Elizabeth Gilbert and discuss the magic of the creative life, she was wise to pass up my submission.

There's really nothing else to say. I'm slowly making my way to 300 Rejections.

Screen shot of my submission

No comments:

Post a Comment