Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Introducing my Helper-Fans

Warning: What you are about to read is essentially like reading my journal.

There won't be much organization. I will jump from thought to thought. Come to think of it, it will likely feel like you are actually sitting TALKING with me.

I digress.

I am grateful to my "helper-fans" (we'll start calling them HFs) who are encouraging this new writing life I have taken up. I got a message from one of my devoted HFs who said, "Um, need some more blog entries, please."

My blog has been quiet for a few days because I am getting up at 5:55 every morning (generally not on weekends) and writing a page a day of a fiction idea I got a few weeks ago. It's kind of like a bet I've made with myself and a few other HFs who BELIEVE I can do this.

Well, damn, it appears I can. For years I told myself that I didn't have a story to tell. Whatever I came up with wouldn't be believable. blah blah blah. Boring downer stuff.

I'm over that and am writing a book. It will be my first AND NOT MY LAST.

I texted a friend the other and said, "I am doing what I am supposed to be doing when I write."

He wrote back, "Truth."

It seemed like such a simple sentence, but four days later, it may be the most important thing I've ever written.

Every morning I put on my writing uniform: GAP sweater I bought on sale two weeks ago, black and silver ring on my right hand, and earbuds in my ears. These thing signal to my brain that words must issue forth and flow out of my finger tips. It is working.

What is NOT working is listening to iTunes Weekly Top 50 radio as I write. It took me an hour to fill my page. I downloaded 9 songs. I became manic.

This morning I returned to listening to Ingrid Michaelson again and things proceeded more calmly.

I am looking at the clock and must wrap this up since I am not a full-time writer of my own stuff, yet.

Let me leave you with this:

Set some goals.

Dream Bigger than it seems reasonable to dream.

Find people who will cheer you on from the sidelines.

There is a new energy coursing through me because of my daily practices of writing, yoga, and believing new things about myself.

I'll write again soon. I've got some breathing and sun saluting to do before I head to work.

Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! HF...that sounds familiar, I love it!! Even your random jumpy thoughts pulled me in. Keep at it. The God in me sees the God in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it. I meant to give you credit for the phrase. So here it is: Helper Fan, Stephanie, coined this phrase. I love it and will use it liberally. xo

    ReplyDelete